Now, as everything seems to be improving, India has expanded its vaccination drive and welcomes children of 12-14 years to be a part of the prevention, starting from Wednesday 16th March 2022. Earlier, the vaccination was included for children 15 to 18 years and people above 18 years.
As reported, children aged 12 to 14 will be assigned with a Hyderabad-based Biological E vaccine, named Corbevax. The said vaccination drive positively started from Wednesday, 16th March with a motive to quickly cover a large group of younger children.
- As recorded on Monday, states had more than 17 crore vaccine doses apart from Corbevax. These doses were exclusively to be used for children 12-14 years old.
- Like earlier vaccines, the new age group will receive 2 doses (28 days apart) of biological e-manufactured “Corbevax” vaccine.
- The Hyderabad based manufacturer has sent 5 crore doses of Corbevax vaccine to the Center Govt, which has been distributed to different states accordingly.
- As an estimate, around more than 7 crore young children will be vaccinated under the latest released vaccine age group.
- The govt. has also eliminated the condition of precautionary doses for population upto 60 years. That means, everyone above 60 years is now eligible for the precautionary doses, after March 16th.
Mansukh Mandaviya- Union Health Minister, India, tweeted on Monday:
“I am happy to inform you that from March 16, Covid vaccination of children in the age group of 12-14 will start. Also, everyone aged 60-plus will now be able to get precaution doses. I urge families of children and people in the age group of 60 and beyond to get the vaccine.”
How India will manage the new vaccine drive:
There are around 72 million children falling under the age category; hence, around 144 million doses are required to cover the aggregate. Interestingly, this time the govt. has not relied on Bharat biotech Covaxin, which was also used for children below 18 years (15 to 17 years old).
As described by several experts, the new vaccine “Corbeax” seems to be safe for the young lads, but the effectiveness is still in doubt.
Let’s wait for the govt. facts to check the future vaccine behavior and success rate of the latest vaccine drive.
Keep following KR4ALL blogs for latest health and wellness news and tips!